Class of 2023
Class of 2023
Class Size: 54
Valedictorian: Allie Berg
Salutatorian: May Queener
Charter Members: 24 members of the Class of 2023, including Valedictorian and Salutatorian, are Charter Students, having attended DCA since at least kindergarten.
59.3% (32) 4-Year Public University
25.9% (14) 4-Year Private University
14.8% (8) 2-Year College/Technical
0.0% (0) United States Military
0.0% (0) Other
68.5% (37) In State
31.5% (17) Out of State/International
· Top 25% Composite Average = 30.07
· Composite Middle 50% = 20-27
· All students are required to take the ACT at least once. Each student’s highest score is included in the following class averages: English: 23.83, Math: 21.93, Reading: 25.04, and Science: 23.13, with an overall average of 23.48.
College Level Courses
· 63% (34) of the Class of 2023 participated in college level courses through Dual Enrollment and/or Advanced Placement programs during grades 11 and 12.
· 621 total credit hours were earned. (AP course credit hours are based on a score of 3 or higher on the corresponding AP exam. AP students are required to take the exam.)
· Average credit hours earned per student in the Class of 2023: 621/54 = 11.5
· Average credit hours earned per student participating in college level courses: 621/34 = 18.26
· 16 members of the Class of 2023 took 39 AP exams in 11 subjects over two years.
82% (32) of those exams resulted in a score of 3 or higher. Students earned a perfect score of 5 on 8 total exams, a score of 4 on 15 total exams, and a score of 3 on 9 total exams.
· The Class of 2023 has 2 AP Scholars with Distinction (Allie Berg, May Queener), 1 AP Scholar with Honor (Baker Elkins), and 2 AP Scholars (Aaron Deckard, Max Williams).
· 96% (52) of the Class of 2023 received scholarships from various colleges, universities, and organizations.
· 87% (47) academically qualified for the Tennessee HOPE Scholarship (21 ACT or 3.0 UGPA).
· 7 Students (13%) also academically qualified for the General Assembly Merit Scholarship
(29 ACT and 3.75 UGPA): Gabe Anderson, Allie Berg, Aaron Deckard, Carson DeVall, Ezra Lashlee, David Lyles, and May Queener.
· 65% (35) of the Class of 2023 received additional academic, athletic, art, service, or citizenship scholarships from colleges, universities, or organizations, above and beyond the HOPE, GAMS, Aspire, Tennessee Promise, or TSAA.
Senior Service and Special Projects
Senior Service – Second Semester (Spring 2023)
• All Seniors: 54 students x 48 hours each = 2,592 hours
• Senior Service PLUS: 4 students x 62 hours = 248 hours
o Total Hours from Senior Service = 2,840 hours
Special Projects (2022-2023)
• High School Service Day – All seniors participated in our HS Service Day in the fall of 2022.
Students served at food banks, churches, and schools assisting in facility upkeep, cleaning, and organizing materials. (162 combined service hours)
• Letters of Encouragement – In the Spring of 2023, seniors participated in a letterwriting campaign to encourage and affirm the teachers and staff at DCA as they approached their graduation day.
(54 combined service hours)
o Total Hours from Special Projects = 216 hours
• Total Service Hours for the class of 2023 = 3,056 hours
Noteworthy Accomplishments and Events in the Arts
The Wildcat Marching Band had great showings at 3 competitions this year (Lebanon HS, Bethel University, and TN Division I State Championship). They had Superior and Excellent ratings in all categories (Field Commander, Percussion, Guard, and Full Band).
Individual Band Achievements & Future Plans for the Class of 2023 Band Members:
· 2021 TN All Mid State Bands - Winston Folsom, Alternate Drumset for HS Jazz Band
· 2022 TN All Mid State Bands - Winston Folsom, Drum Set - High School Silver Jazz Band
· Eion Angel will be attending Tennessee Tech University majoring in History and Earth Sciences.
· Allie Berg, class of 2023 Valedictorian, served as the WMB Field Commander for 2021 - 2023. She will be attending East Tennessee State University majoring in Health Sciences/Pre-Med.
· Aaron Deckard served as the Woodwind Section Leader for 3 years. He will be attending Indiana University majoring in International Business.
· Winston Folsom served as the Percussion Section Leader for 2 years and Band Captain his senior year. He will be attending Lipscomb University majoring in Commercial Music.
· Baker Elkins - Auditioned and selected for The University Choir at Sewanee, The University of the South, and was awarded the Comer Choral Scholarship.
· Drake Dixon - Studying Music Performance at Liberty University.
· Legacy Show Choir Accolades - Led by Senior Dance Captains, Drake Dixon and Hailie Lopez, as well as senior members of the choir, Connor Dale, Baker Elkins, and Grayson Oakley - 1st Place Grand Champions in the Small Mixed Choir Division at Hamilton, OH, Show Choir Competition
· High School Choirs sang at the Statue of Liberty in New York.
· Legacy hosted their first competition in the new Performing Arts Center. They performed in an exhibition to a packed house where there was standing room only.
During the 2022-2023 school year, the DCA Theatre Department performed the play, The Somewhat True Tale of Robin Hood, as our annual Homecoming weekend production in the fall. Our annual spring musical production was Shrek the Musical. This was our first ever theatre production in the new Performing Arts Center. Notable lead performances by senior performers included Baker Elkins in The Somewhat True Tale of Robin Hood and Drake Dixon and Baker Elkins in Shrek the Musical.
Noteworthy Accomplishments and Events in Athletics
· Varsity Boys Cross Country advanced to the State Championship meet.
· Varsity Football advanced to the state tournament.
· Varsity Boys Soccer won their district.
· Varsity Softball advanced to the state tournament.
· Varsity Boys Track: Drew Johnson won the 1600m region championship and advanced to the state track meet. Drew finished 2nd in the 1600m at the state track meet.
Athletic Award Winners:
Congratulations to the following senior student-athletes who were awarded $1,000 scholarships from the Athletic Booster Club:
· Jack Franklin - Athletic Booster Club Essay Winner
· Kayla Rothman - Leighton Williams "Love Like Lay" Female Ultimate Team Player
· Connor Thomas - Ken Willey Male Ultimate Team Player
· Drew Johnson - Wilburn Dugger Award
Seven student athletes (13%) from the Class of 2023 will continue their sport at the collegiate level.
· Braden Ducharme (football at Austin Peay State U.)
· Jack Franklin (soccer at Trevecca Nazarene U.)
· Drew Johnson (cross-country at Taylor U.)
· Ethan Robinson (baseball at Vanderbilt U.)
· Brady Russell (football at Murray State U)
· Milo Schumann (men’s volleyball at Orange Coast College)
· Connor Thomas (bowling at Bethel U.)