Class of 2021 Stats
Class of 2021
Class Size: 56
Valedictorians: Kendall Roy and Natalie Smith
Charter Members: 21 members of the Class of 2021 are Charter Students, having attended DCA since at least kindergarten.
62.5% (35) 4-Year Public University
33.9% (19) 4-Year Private University
3.6% (2) 2-Year College/Technical
0.0% (0) United States Military
0.0% (0) Other
64.3% (36) In State
35.7% (20) Out of State/International
· Top 25% Composite Average = 30.54
· Composite Middle 50% = 22-28
· Every student is required to take the ACT at least once. Each student’s highest score is included in the following class averages: English: 25.78, Math: 24.6, Reading: 26.24, and Science: 25.4, with an overall average of 25.5.
College Level Courses
· 84% (47) of the Class of 2021 participated in college level courses through Dual Enrollment and/or Advanced Placement programs during grades 11 and 12.
· 745 total credit hours were earned. (AP course credit hours are based on a score of 3 or higher on the corresponding AP exam. AP students are required to take the exam.)
· Average credit hours earned per student in the Class of 2021: 13.3
· Average credit hours earned per student participating in college level courses: 15.85
· 32 members of the Class of 2021 took 71 AP exams over 2 years in 10 subjects. 59% (42) of those exams resulted in 3s or higher.
· The Class of 2021 has 1 AP Scholar with Distinction (Natalie Smith), 2 AP Scholars with Honor (Kendall Roy and Dylan Woods), and 3 AP Scholars (Olivia Manabat, Madison Marasco, and Jennie Sha).
Our semester of “Senior Service” was unavailable due to COVID. However, the Class of 2021 was able to donate 50 shoeboxes to Operation Christmas Child, as well as participate in school-wide service projects such as our annual Food Drive. In addition, the Class of 2021 wrote thank you notes to encourage our middle and high school teachers at DCA.
· 93% (52) of the Class of 2021 received scholarship offers from various colleges, universities, and organizations.
· 96% (54) academically qualified for the Tennessee HOPE Scholarship (21 ACT or 3.0 UGPA).
· 9 Students (16%) also academically qualified for the General Assembly Merit Scholarship (29 ACT and 3.75 UGPA). Those 9 students are: Blake Anderson, Adam Deckard, Brooke Gowder, Casson Hughes, Madison Marasco, Kendall Roy, Natalie Smith, Hayden Studer, and Elizabeth Sweeten.
· 86% (48) of the Class of 2021 received additional academic, athletic, art, service, or citizenship scholarships from colleges, universities, or organizations, above and beyond the HOPE, GAMS, Aspire, or Tennessee Promise.
Noteworthy Accomplishments and Events
Natalie Smith is DCA’s first Haslam Scholar at the University of Tennessee! Each year, only 15 students are accepted into the Haslam Scholars Program, UT’s most prestigious undergraduate academic scholars program.
Choir – Casson Hughes and Bella Ferrell were selected for Mid-State and All-State Choir. Legacy 2021, under the outstanding leadership of the Legacy Seniors '21, won the Small Mixed Division of the Circle City Show Choir Classic in Indianapolis, IN, which was a virtual competition... while wearing masks! Madison Marasco will continue her vocal studies at the University of Mississippi, studying Music Education with a major in Voice. Casson Hughes earned a spot with the Voices of Lee, Lee University’s prestigious and selective 16-member a cappella ensemble.
Band – Three members of the Class of 2021 are continuing their instrumental careers at the collegiate level. Brennan Wagner was selected to play Tenor Sax in the Jazz Ensemble II at MTSU. Brennan is majoring in Music Industry and minoring in Recording Industry and Jazz Studies. During the 2020-2021 school year, Brennan made All Mid State Silver Jazz Band on Tenor Sax. Madison Marasco is studying Music Education with a major in Voice and a minor in Flute. Madison earned a spot with the Pride of the South Marching Band at the University of Mississippi. J.D. Chilton will be entering the Professional Pilot’s program at MTSU, and minoring in Music on Bass.
Theatre – During the 2020-2021 school year, the DCA Theatre Department performed the play, The Lost Boy, as our annual Homecoming weekend production in the fall. Our annual spring musical production was Beauty and the Beast. Notable lead performances by senior Thespians included Jake Patton, Hayden Studer, Emilie Root, and Casson Hughes in The Lost Boy and Kendall Roy, Casson Hughes, and Hayden Studer in Beauty and the Beast. Jake Patton will be continuing his theatrical studies at Berry College, majoring in Theatre with a concentration in Technical Theatre, and minoring in Marketing. Sydney Gales is double majoring in Dramatic Arts and Information Systems at Trevecca Nazarene University.
Athletics – Eight student athletes (14%) from the Class of 2021 will continue their sport at the collegiate level. Those students are: Kenzie Brewster (volleyball at Maryville College), Jude Charlton (basketball at Welch College), Preston Davis (baseball at Transylvania University), Jon Lewis (football at Birmingham Southern University), Jordan Lewis (football at Birmingham Southern University), Jonah Patton (baseball at Sewanee, The University of the South), Ben Singer (soccer at Trevecca Nazarene University), and Riley Stanton (baseball at Motlow State Community College).